I understand it was Steven Posch who called Pagans “the people of the Library.” Here’s mine, a work in progress. I may not necessarily agree with the points of view expressed by the authors, but I believe each of these was worth reading.
Paganism/Wicca 101, 201 . . .
There’s no strong dividing line between one level of expertise and other, so I’m not attempting to make separate lists for beginning, intermediate, and advanced works.
- The Circle Within by Diane Sylvan (Llewellyn Publications, 2003)
- Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham (Llewellyn Publications, 1993)
- Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions by Joyce and River Higginbotham (Llewellyn Publications, 2002)
- Solitary Wicca for Life: A Complete Guide to Mastering the Craft on Your Own by Arin Murphy-Hiscock (Provenance Press, 2005)
- The Study of Witchcraft: A Guidebook to Advanced Wicca by Deborah Lipp (Weiser Books, 2007)
- Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham (Llewellyn Publications, 1988, revised 2004)
History and Context
- Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America by Margot Adler (Penguin, 1979; revised 2006)
- Persuasions of the Witch’s Craft: Ritual Magic in Contemporary England by T.M. Luhrmann (Harvard University Press, 1989)
- The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft by Ronald Hutton (Oxford University Press, 1999)
Ritual Design and Creation
Some of this is covered in the Wicca 101 books, but here are books completely devoted to the topic.
- The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle by Deborah Lipp (Llewellyn Publications, 2003)
- Neopagan Rites: A Guide to Creating Public Rituals that Work by Isaac Bonewits (Llewellyn Publications, 2007; originally published as Rites of Worship, Dubsar House, 2003)
Books here might migrate somewhere else if I get enough of them in any one topic.
- Living With Honour: A Pagan Ethics by Emma Restall Orr (O Books, 2007)
- Pagan Spirituality: A Guide to Personal Transformation by Joyce and River Higginbotham (Llewellyn Publications, 2006)
- The Soul’s Religion: Cultivating a Profoundly Spiritual Way of Life by Thomas Moore (HarperCollins, 2002)
- Tarot 101: Mastering the Art of Reading the Cards by Kim Huggens (Llewellyn Publications, 2010)
- The Way of Four: Create Elemental Balance in Your Life by Deborah Lipp (Llewellyn Publications, 2004)
- The Way of the Hedge Witch: Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home by Arin Murphy-Hiscock (Provenance Press, 2009)
- A World Full of Gods: An Inquiry into Polytheism by John Michael Greer (ADF Publishing, 2005)